TYPES OF VOLUNTEERS
There are so many ways you can use your skills to be a force for change.
Work with communities and organizations in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean in your area of expertise. Overseas placements range from six months to 24 months.
View international placements
Read stories of volunteers in action
Share your skills to help people and organizations in the country of your birth or heritage.
Cuso International recognizes that diaspora communities offer a unique richness of knowledge and depth of understanding of local society, culture and language.
Our approach to diaspora volunteering involves engaging diaspora communities in North America to work collaboratively with partner organizations in their countries of origin. Working together to build the capacity of individuals, communities and organizations is the most effective way to reduce poverty and achieve sustainable development in developing countries.
To support and promote the mobilization of diaspora communities in the US, Cuso International developed the Diaspora for Development (DfD) initiative, in partnership with USAID, Accenture and MentorCloud.
Learn more about the Diaspora for Development initiative
View diaspora placements
CORPORATE AND INSTITUTIONAL VOLUNTEERING
Take a leave of absence from work or your studies to participate in an overseas volunteer assignment with one of Cuso International’s partner organizations.
Corporate and Institutional volunteering is a great way for Cuso International to fill placements that require highly skilled volunteers from a variety of professional and academic backgrounds.
- Volunteers gain a better understanding of global issues, valuable inter-cultural expertise and helpful problem-solving skills that will benefit them throughout their career.
- The company or institution benefits from the new expertise and skills that the volunteers share and apply upon their return.
- Allowing employees, students or institutional members to take a leave of absence demonstrates an organization’s commitment to personal and professional learning and development.
- Offering a corporate volunteering program is an effective strategy for attracting, retaining and developing staff — especially as professionals increasingly value being part of an organization that is committed to making a difference.
- The overseas partner organizations gain valuable knowledge and skills that help them build capacity — in turn, helping thousands of people build a better future for themselves.
Our partners are seeking the following skills: business managers, M&E advisors, auditors and financial advisors, strategic planners, small business and microfinance advisors, project managers, IT professionals, marketing advisors and many more!
NEW! CUSTOMIZED SERVICES
Recruitment, selection and training services tailored to your organization
Cuso International has been successfully placing volunteers in developing countries for more than 50 years. We are well known for the quality of our candidate selection and pre-departure training processes — expertise that we now offer as a service to corporate, public and not-for-profit organizations.
We would be happy to work with you to customize our recruitment, selection and training services to meet your unique needs in any of the following areas:
- establishing an employee volunteering program
- expanding your business to a foreign country
- transferring an employee to an overseas location
Recent clients include:
- The Forum of Federations
- Vets without Borders
- The Canadian Association of Midwives
If going overseas isn’t an option for you, you can still volunteer in a meaningful way, right from your own home, via email, Skype and other web-based technologies.
- Peer-to-peer – Exchange ideas and work collaboratively with an overseas colleague over email.
- E-mentoring – Share skills and experience with an overseas colleague using online tools such as Skype to help build his/her capacity.
- Task-based technical assistance – Work off-site on a volunteer project such as a website, business plan, research project, marketing campaign and more.
VOLUNTEER IN NORTH AMERICA
Put your knowledge and passion for international development to work in your own community.
Some of the ways you can get involved include
- Recruiting volunteers
- Educating the public
- Planning events, and
- Raising funds to help Cuso International send volunteers overseas
Email your fundraising ideas to firstname.lastname@example.org
Cuso International started the South-South volunteering program to leverage the depth of understanding of local society, culture and language that these professionals can bring to international development. We have placed nearly 500 South-South volunteers in the past 20 years.
If you are a skilled professional living or residing in Latin America or the Caribbean, you can volunteer in the region, in a country other than your own, working alongside local partners to help them strengthen their capacities.
View South-South placements